Saturday, January 22, 2011

Buried

In a skiing, riding, dumping, powerdy, beautiful sort of way, we are buried. This is extraordinary. The skiing everywhere is tremendous especially the North Side. All those funky lines like Hot Wheels, Gravitational, and Miami Beach are filled in nicely. We had a wind delayed opening in Zuma today. By sheer luck (and listening to the Ski Patrol and Lift Crew chatter on my radio) I happened to be unloading Lenawee just as Zuma opened. Northern Spy was the ticket. Looks like the sun will pop out some tomorrow. Look for a lot of avalanche work and a late opening in West Zuma. Once open, MGD, Schauffler, and Jump should be sweet. The wind this afternoon was filling those babies up.



































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

al, are you proud of what you do as a COO? i mean your guys ski resort is kinda lame (only 1 HSQ) don't you guys have the money to upgrade pali and lenaee mtn? will they ever be upgraded to a HSQ...or are you guys forever the legend!?

jerry said...

poop on u

Anonymous said...

Really ? Thats why we are the legend !I have been skiing the "legend" for 21yrs and thats what makes it special. Go to other resorts if you "have" to ride a hsq.And P.S WE ARE FAR FROM LAME, and you would know that if you were cool enough !

Anonymous said...

A-Basin lame? HSQ? Wow... you really are lost! I haven't been skiing long, only 6 seasons, but I know when I come to A-Basin I get the skiing experience. I don't need a high speed lift to let me know I am blessed to be skiing here. I don't need a high speed to get me up the mountain faster, I enjoy talking to people and making new friends. I don't need a high speed to realize you're an idiot! Anonymous... seems to me like you have been injected with snob; you should have that taken care of!

Chris said...

Al, I hope you are extremely proud of what you do as COO, because, man, A-Basin gets it right! I think the definition of lame is to judge an area by the number of high-speed quads, rather than by the skiing experience. While the mega-resorts offer a sanitized, over-developed and crowded version of the sport, A-Basin is still the real thing, with more acreage of interesting terrain than many areas 4 or 5 times there size.
I've been coming to the Basin for 20 years and what I like about it is how little it changes. Don't get me wrong, Zuma, BML and the new lift are great additions, but the wild and open terrain and steep, tree-lined flanks are exactly what they should be.
The Black Mountain Express lift was a great idea to ease crowding on busy days, but it would be a mistake to put a high-speed quad on Pali. Can you imagine the bottleneck at the top? Plus after a burner on 13 c's or Roller Coaster, you need a couple minutes of rest!