Tuesday, May 3, 2011

1st Notch and Corner Chute

I know I continue to rave about the skiing. Sunday, Kay and I spent a few hours enjoying the place on my day off. We had several great runs on the North Side. It was still winter conditions with sweet skiing on The Spine, The Face, Standard, Slalom Slope, and the 3rd Alley. After a good warm up there, we headed to The East Wall. After hiking through the North Pole gate up to Little Lenawee Peak, we dropped into 1st Notch. We first opened that chute from the top in the early 90's. I have to say that Sunday had the best snow cover I have seen there in 20 years. From there it was up the Willie's Staircase to the Snorkel Door. A traverse and a little ski to the North put us in Corner Chute. With only one set of tracks before us, we had perfect untouched boot-deep powder skiing. Tough going into work on your day off.