Monday, May 20, 2013

Candid Conversation on Extending the Season

As it always does, closing day generates a lot of discussion.  We will be open until at least June 2, our scheduled closing day.  It is still difficult to pin point whether we will extend the season or not.  I can tell you we would "like" to extend the season.  To do so, the snow needs to hold up and people need to continue skiing.  We need to generate a bit of business to stay open.  Typically, when the snow is good, people go skiing.  The numbers part works itself out.  Figuring out the future of snow can be difficult.  We had a week of very warm weather then we just had three days of cool weather. HMMM.  It really is hard to project snow conditions weeks from now.

So, here are some thoughts for you.  We will be open 7 days a week through June 2.  If we do extend beyond June 2, the decision will be made close to June 2.  If we do extend, it will be for long weekends, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I am hoping we can extend for 1 or 2 weekends.  Staying open until July 4th seems very, very unlikely.

I really enjoy people being excited about the possible late season.  The intrigue and anticipation is really fun.  I do, however, want to give everyone as clear an impression about what is going on as I can.  As soon I know whether or not we are going to extend, I promise I will let you know.

8 comments:

The Scapegoat splitting the Atom said...

As always thx for the openness you bring to A-Basin Al. You answered your own question as I would have. Past June 2, run long weekends as long as possible/business capable. You never know with Colorado and the high altitude The Basin offers. Generally I find the front range forgets about skiing/snowboarding once the main resorts close. For me I'd rather spend my springs beachin' it. By that I mean a beer in the parking lot and then buying another from the best bloody mary bartender I've seen. We want more. I keep saying this is my last powder day. Sunday was great from 8:30 (first chair) til noon, if not longer. And that is being picky. I came to beach it and I ended up happy at noon with the pow stash from the morning. A-Basin: Keep doing whatever it is your doing. Knock on wood, best I've seen the divide since a while ago... You know.

Calob Rundell said...

Al, you're the best!
This blog, and its candidness, is part of what makes A-Basin the awesome place and experience it is!

After last season, and this season's slow start, being able to ski/ride now in May seems wonderful, and a couple days in June is just extra icing on the cake.

Keep rockn'!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Calob. Al, thanks for being frank and being quick in responding. I'm assured that what ever you folks decide on EoS, your blog followers will get to know first about it.
Thanks again...

chris moore said...

Agree with Calob in this string that the blog is an excellent part of the whole Basin "thing." It is the only blog I follow on a regular basis. Al, you have a gift with words, and they always ring true with me.

In the 80's there was a quote about the band The Clash - they used to say: "The Clash - the only band that matters." I think you should use the tag line "the only blog that matters" on yours!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Try to push it at least one weekend after June 2nd!! I am out of town this weekend as well as next weekend for a wedding, so June 8th is the earliest I could possibly go!

Anonymous said...

Any sign of the "Lake"?

Van Townsend said...

Ditto, any sign of the lake yet? I am heading up tomorrow, then Thursday flying "home" to Louisiana. Not sure if anyone will believe me that I was snowboarding the day before. I sure hope you are open later than June 2nd.

Dave said...

I was up yesterday (Tue) & not even a peek at Lake Reveal. The warmer temps today into the weekend can change that status fast, however. Love some pond skimming, but I'm really appreciating these May dumps to sustain the base. Not much need to even farm snow, except at the base. Zuma Bowl open Memorial Day weekend? That's just crazy good. Lake Reveal will come - it always does.