Saturday, January 11, 2014

Zuma - MGD

Mother Nature gave me another scare this morning. About 7:30 - 8:00 the wind was just howling up here. The forecast for the day was very high winds. So the day started with queasy feeling about lifts and high winds. Amazingly and luckily, the forecast was totally wrong. It was a beautiful day, mostly sunny with a very tolerable breeze. Fantastic.

For weeks the Ski Patrol has been doing extensive work in the MGD (Max, Groswold, Durrance) zone of Montezuma Bowl. At the end of the day I was able to take a pass in Max and Durrance. Awesome, for powder skiers only. It is just about ready. Again, we have heavy snow forecast for Sunday and Monday. That storm will impact when opening day actually occurs. Let's see how all the weather and avalanche mitigation plays out. Either way, I see some steep MGD skiing for all you guys very soon.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of gear/precautions should people take into consideration when riding the back bowl.

Anonymous said...

Great news, Al! Totally unrelated note: Just wanted to compliment the food service. High quality and good serving sizes at reasonable prices. From Black Mountain Lodge to Base Cafeteria to 6th Alley Bar, I've had awesome food and very friendly staff. Will definitely be back for lots more. Kudos all around.

Anonymous said...

New snow=wildcat, turbo, zuma cornice, grays, and hopefully east wall openings will be made soon? I mean it's a 50 in base

Anonymous said...

Hey Al just wanted to add to what anonymous said about the food.. the raw oysters are amazing!! And at a good price

Anonymous said...

Back bowl doesn't really need a whole lot of prep. When you go into the trees, just try not to get lost. Signs are abundant, but it is still easy to get lost and end up needing to hike back to the lift. When you're there, you can see the cornice and judge where to go and the precautions to take

Anonymous said...

C'mon Al I need an update on how it is up there. I've been refreshing the blog page every five minutes. I need my fix!

Anonymous said...

Al, the A basin team should put a cam pointed at the flags at the top of the mountain to see how the winds are up there, because it's kind of hard to tell on the current cams. Just an idea. Thanks for all the hard work!

Anonymous said...

Same blog post up for 4 days = Al busy with "product testing" right? ;)

I agree with anonymous and anonymous about the food. The Palivicini Pastrami at BML is the world's greatest sandwich!

Anonymous said...

Since everybody is talking about food, I'd like to say that Abasin is the only mountain I've visited where I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off for a meal. The barbeque platter at Black Mountain Lodge gives you tons of food and it is high quality barbeque. I can't believe at other mountains you get charged the same price for a small cup of chili or a lame burger with no sides.