Monday, June 6, 2011

Will We Be Open on July 4th?



Nice, quiet Monday morning. It is definitely summer around here. We have a few staff members around today tidying things up. The F and B crew is playing the "Eagles" on the A-Frame deck sound system. Good feel to the place this morning.

I continue to be asked 10-20 times per day if we will be open on the 4th of July. My answer is always the same. We will be open for certain the next two 3-day weekends, June 10, 11, and 12 and June 17, 18, and 19. We would like to stay open two more weekends beyond that, but to do so we need two things. 1) The snow still has be good. With all the snow out there, the odds of that happening are good. 2) People need to keep skiing to make the numbers work. So............ if you want us to be open for the 4th, pleae come skiing the next couple of weekends. The spring/summer skiing on Saturday was awesome and people were having fun.

10 comments:

John said...

I'll be up the Sunday of the 12th and possibly the 18th.......... I'm thinking the odds of going 'til The Fourth is pretty probable........Keep it up guys hope you make it!

Hey Al I had a question about the year in 2003 when you guys only made it to the 2nd. Where there lots of skiers? how the Exo lift downloading while it was also up-loading?

with BMX can you be full down-load and full up hill capacity while getting people on to the norway lift?

Thanks

John

Mike M said...

Right after I asked you about the 4th of July on Saturday, after chatting about the fires/smoke, on top of West Wall, I thought to myself.."Man I bet he gets asked that 15-20 times a day" I promise to do my part and will be up skiing and spending cash in the 6th Alley, The Grill's, and in the Sportshop as often as possible!

Anonymous said...

Will the terrain park be open this upcoming weekend?

Anonymous said...

Sunday was great. Did you have to dig the pond out?
I would have spent more money if you had beer in the cafeteria cooler. Please get some for the weekends, they don’t go bad too fast.

Pete said...

Al-

I've heard that a ski resort negotiates its closing dates in advance of the season with the Forest Service (or some other similar government organization.)

Did A-Basin have to jump through any hoops to extend their closing date?

Am I being fed a line?

Alan Henceroth - COO and Vice President said...

A few comments to questions:

June 2003 was fairly busy. BMX can handle a 100% capacity upload and a 25% capacity download at the same time.

The terrain park will be open. By the end of the day Thursday I will let you know what features we will have.

No pond yet.

Some ski areas do have restrictions regarding closing days although I do not claim to be an expert on these issues. I believe they tend to be centered on a very specific issue such as "elk calving areas." We do not have any of those sensitive areas. Hence, no direct restrictions on opening or closing dates. We do have environmental restrictions on snowmaking which indirectly impacts opening and closing dates.

Alan Henceroth - COO and Vice President said...

Remember, each ski area is a little different, in a different location, with different circumstances. There is not one template that fits every one exactly the same way.

Mike said...

I'll be there on the 4th if you're open!!!!!

Mike said...

If you're open on the 4th of July I'll be there!!!!

Anonymous said...

Coming up tomorrow. whether or not you make it up till the 4th, you guys are head and shoulders above the rest.

-Much Love