Tuesday, April 21, 2015

June 7

Since it started snowing last Thursday, we have received 31" of new snow. I am planning on skiing June 7 and you should too.

So each year we make a plan and a budget for the season. That includes an opening and closing day and a whole lot more. For about the last decade we have been targeting the first Sunday of June for closing day. This year that happens to be June 7. Prior to this storm I was confident we would be open until June 7. After this storm there is very, very little doubt we will be open June 7. Who knows, if the snow is good and people keep skiing, we may stay open beyond June 7. Time will tell.

32 of the last 34 ski seasons we have been open in June. 6 of those 34 seasons we were open into July and in 1995 we stayed open until August 10. At the end of March our year to date snowfall was 92% of average. April snowfall has been good and we anticipate little trouble making June 7.

Our scheduled closing date is June 7.


12 comments:

Bob said...

I remember the winter of 95. I moved to Colorado just after New Years. I was mountain biking Green Mt in 70 degree temps as the winter started out slow. Then BAM it started dumping! I think the Basin got about 6" on July 4th, it was all over the news. What a season!

Anonymous said...

Sweet!

Fred Raabe said...

June 12 is my 60th birthday, just sayin

Jason M. Buszta said...

Awesome data! Thanks for the information!

Of the 32 years, how many years did you make it until July? Is there a Wiki or page that list all the open and closing dates for the last 34 years?

Don Keller said...

Well done AL - I wish budgets and planning were done as well for other businesses/gov - and their not even dealing with a currency of snowflakes :)

Zeke said...

Great post Alan. Glad you will be open June 7th!

Anonymous said...

I remember 1995 too. If I recall correctly, on May 31st, Willy's Wide was skiable from the very top of Lenawee Mtn. July 3rd was a powder day and July 4th was near blizzard conditions. Great year!

Anonymous said...

Jason, if you read the blog you are commenting on, you find the awnser to your question!

Anonymous said...

Skiing this morning was spactacular. I had to check an A Basin trail map before I knew where I found about TWO feet of pow. It looked like no one had been there in days. Hint: it is steep and North in some trees. Awsome day Al!

Anonymous said...

Based on OnTheSnow.com

2008: 6/3
2009: 6/6
2010: 6/6
2011: 7/4
2012: 5/9
2013: 6/13
2014: 6/22

Dave said...

Great news, Al! Thanks for the update. I was actually waiting for one of these posts.

Jason Burns said...

What was the season-total snowfall for that 1994-1995 season? Onthesnow.com is great, but doesn't quite go back that far. Looking forward to a late-season day or two!