Sunday, April 19, 2015

No Doubt - Best Run Of The Season

What an incredible Busman's Holiday ski day. Kay and I started this powder day skiing with a couple of old, close friends, CeCe and Terry Pfeiffer. Terry preceded me as Patrol Director at The Basin in the mid-eighties. He is now the President of Winterplace Ski Resort in West Virginia. We took several beautiful runs in the North Glade, Standard, International zone. Good snow, good fun, good friends.

The East Wall opened mid-morning. The Ski Patrol did an A+ job managing the snow out there through this storm. Ski Patroller Nikos, AKA "Kos", set a staircase through deep snow in Willy's Wide. We joined a couple of other friends for a hike there and dropped into Booger. Without a doubt, the best run of the season for me. Deep, un-tracked, face shots, clean, and as good as it gets. Too bad I don't have the patience or the skill to be a good ski-action photographer. The run was so fantastic we hopped on Lenawee, hiked the Willy's staircase again, and dropped into Snorkelnose for double the fun. It was only "one of the best runs" of the season.

This storm has been extraordinary and we may have an additional week or two of unsettled weather.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to ALL the staff for a fantastic day, last few days, season...fill in the blanks, it's all so so good. I, too, had a few best runs this past weekend.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I picked the wrong weekend to play some golf in AZ. Thanks for the updates.

Tricia said...

Will be there in a few weeks. Can't wait!!
Arapahoe Basin always delivers!

Anonymous said...

Where was all your staff on Friday? Friday should have been incredible. Instead eveyrthing was closed. Which was slightly understandable, I know you need to mitigate. They weren't even trying though, weren't even there. Do you always try to save snow like that for the weekend rush of frangers?

Anonymous said...

Do you always complain about everything because based on this post I would think that you do. I was there 9-4 Friday and the skiing was great. Other than some delays for an hour in the morning the lifts were running. I don't want to be riding a lift when lightening strikes!

Blake G said...

It's been over a month and I missed this weekend but I just decided I have to head up! Which run is one of the "easier" east wall runs? Somehow this will be my first trip since it opened

Alan Henceroth - COO and Vice President said...

Blake, Go in the Upper East Wall Gate (not the North Pole Gate). Ski and side step out the traverse to the center of The Wall. Stop before you get to the rope closure. Below you is probably easiest and cleanest lines on The Wall.

Anonymous said...

Winterplace... That was my "home" mountain growing up in WV. A-Basin has slightly steeper lines.

Dan said...

I was there Saturday only (unfortunately, flat tire on I-70 on Sunday!) but I agree my one North Pole far chute on the east wall was one of the best runs this season!!! I hope the weather holds for another week so I can get back there after work this week!

Anonymous said...

Saturday was so awesome on the east wall thanks Ski Patrol!!!

Anonymous said...

I shared a chair with CeCe and Terry on Saturday. Really nice folks! Glad they got some East Wall sessions in. Saturday was Awesome, here's to more next weekend!

Anonymous said...

Why was so much terrain closed on Friday?

Alan Henceroth - COO and Vice President said...

Not quite sure I get the comments about "where was the staff Friday." The Ski Patrol worked on the East Wall until well after we were closed and opened it Saturday. They got MGD open Friday and far West Zuma is still too rocky to open.

. said...

YO AL!! I read this when I woke up ad drove up...North side was still awesome, North Glade, Roller Coaster, Log Lines, you know. Set the stairs up Willie's, toughest walk I've ever done up there, one step forward, two steps back...thank ski patrol for getting it open and leaving it to the hounds to find there on way up there today, the only way to do it! I have not broke trail up there in 20 years. 2-3 feet deep up there, yes best run of the year! It took me ten minutes to conquer the last 30 feet it was deep up there, but all the knuckle heads who raced up behind me thanked me for the effort. GREAT DAY. Thanks.