Sunday, October 21, 2012

Reflective Thoughts on Cell Coverage

I am not surprised there was so much interest and comment on the cell phone/wifi topic.  Over the years I have received lots of comments about our lack of cell coverage.  The majority of that feedback encouraged us to get cell coverage, but a chunk of the feedback relished not having coverage.  It strongly reminds me that A-Basin can be a lot of different things to different people.  When we talk about our culture or our vision at the ski area, the word "freedom" comes up a lot.  On the cell phone topic, freedom can really mean different things.  For some people, spending a day at the Basin is good because they have the freedom to get away from their phone.  Some people have to or want to stay in contact and cell coverage allows them to ski and still stay connected.  Others just like coverage to find their family and friends.  There is no right and wrong here.  That is just the way it is.  Being next to a major US Highway, we have always known cell coverage was coming.  Now it is almost here.  I know I won't carry my phone everywhere I go, but I certainly will carry at times.  In the end I hope this addition helps the people that want coverage and doesn't annoy the people that don't.