Saturday, June 17, 2017

Odd Position

I seem to find myself in an odd position this time of year. I spend the entire ski season trying to convince everyone how great the skiing is. Once we close for the year, I have to convince a few people that, really, the snow is melting and it is time to close.

After some time passes after we make big decisions, we look back critically to determine if we made the right decision. That said, this morning I went for a little walking tour up to Black Mountain Lodge. My intention was to check the condition of the road and the remaining snow and try and determine if we made the right decision. The pictures below say a thousand words but, I did ask and answer the following questions.

Was there enough snow at the top and bottom of BMX and the bottom of Lenawee Mountain Lift to keep operating? The answer was no.

Was there enough snow on Ramrod and Sundance to keep operating? The answer was no, not even close.

Was there still a strip of snow on High Noon? The answer was mostly yes but, there was a burnout patch on Upper High Noon that would have prevented it from opening.

Was there enough snow around for dozing to keep the lift terminals and High Noon going? The answer was no.

While the decision to close, made June 8, was not an easy one, we made the right decision. Enjoy the pictures and, more importantly, enjoy the summer.