Monday, January 17, 2022

Martin Luther King Jr.



As a ski area guy, when I think of Martin Luther King Day, I think of all the impacts to our business. I think about holiday ticket sales, parking issues, having enough employees, keeping all the restaurants open, etc., etc., etc. To me that is  important stuff that I can’t ignore, but regarding the holiday, there are bigger things to be talking about. 

Thursday I was with some people a bit wiser than me. They reminded me the holiday is not just about work, but it is meant to recognize and celebrate one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century, Martin Luther King Jr. King worked tirelessly to advance civil rights. He participated and led marches for Blacks’ rights to vote, desegregation, poverty,  labor rights and other basic civil rights. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolent resistance. His “I Have A Dream” speech during the March on Washington is still an inspiration 59 years later. He was threatened, his house was bombed, he was stabbed and he was arrested several times. He never gave up and, for his convictions, he paid the ultimate price with his assassination  in 1968. 

I hope you have been able to enjoy the holiday weekend. I hope you enjoyed some skiing and riding at Arapahoe Basin. I also hope you have taken some time to recognize how this great American has impacted all of our lives.

Check out his speech during the March on Washington  I Have A Dream